Grateful for My Barbecue Education at the 2011 American Royal from Candy Sue Weaver
|Candy preparing the baked beans turn-in with tour group watching.|
I had the privilege of working the 32nd annual American Royal in Kansas City with Candy Weaver of BBQr's Delight. Candy is also the current President of the KCBS so I saw her not only cook great barbecue but also saw her literally on her feet for 4 days representing this organization. The KCBS team and the staff of the American Royal ran a fabulous event and Candy was right in the thick of it.
|Jeffrey Saad of Cooking channel and Candy really hit it off.|
Her itinerary was non-stop too:
- She entered all four sides contests- showcasing her talent beyond the standard meat entries
- She participated in 3 “Tours of the Royal” where the public and VIP’s are led on a tour to meet and greet with certain teams for demonstrations, tastings and tips. The public got their money’s worth from Candy!
- She cooked the open on Sunday
- She was constantly greeted by team members and KCBS staff
- She conducted business on behalf of the KCBS
- She was even filmed by the Cooking Channel!
|The smoke ring looks more like years on a tree. Candy was not happy, she thought it was over-cooked.|
Talk about getting an insiders look at all that goes on at a major event like this. You couldn’t wipe the smile off my face all weekend—you still can’t! I don’t know how she managed it all and still cooked some great barbecue and we made every turn-in.
It seems everyone knows Candy—and loves her. She has a sterling reputation among the teams and her fellow KCBS members. Paul Kirk told me she is the best president the KCBS has ever had. Paul should know.
Candy- Thank you for inviting me to be your wingman and for allowing me to keep my nose pressed on the window to the wonderful world of competitive barbecue. I learned so much about cooking and competing from my ringside seat, but most of all I learned what a wonderful treasure you are to this great American tradition, and to the KCBS.
|The dessert was a great way to end our day too!|
Thank you Candy Sue for all you do for barbecue and the KCBS!
PS- If you are not a member of the KCBS – you should be, join KCBS today.