|Five 18.5" GrillGrates fit my Charbroil perfectly.|
Meathead's enthusiastic response along with the barrage of pictures I was receiving from delighted (and handy) customers was enough to make me make cut GrillGrates for my grill. I have the same 4 burner Charbroil that Meathead does. I've had five of the standard GrillGrates on it for 2 years and never felt the need to cover the uncovered portion. But from the moment I removed the old cast iron grates, I was amazed at the difference in how my grill performed. It ran much hotter a lot faster and was very responsive. I had a new learning curve too. Medium is the maximum I use even with steaks and the heat control and responsiveness is amazing.
GrillGrates cook food the same whether they are on top of the old grates or not. It was the difference in my grill that was the eye-opener. Here is a summary of the performance aspects of replacing the existing grilling surface with GrillGrates:
- Gas Grills run much hotter with only GrillGrates: GrillGrates trap a grills heat much more efficiently than any other grate. Heat can only escape up through the holes in the bottom of the GrillGrate or via the metal. GrillGrates act as a heat exchanger- capturing the heat of your grill and transmitting it up to the cooking rails. NOTE: Be careful not to overheat your grill. Stay below 900F!
- Grills heats up twice as quickly: Light your grill just a few minutes before you are ready to cook. No long warm-up needed or the grill will be at 700F or more. The cool down is equally fast if the grill does get too hot. Open the lid, turn down the gas and the aluminum is very responsive in dropping temperature quickly as well.
- GrillGrate make Gas Grills incredibly efficient when the original grates are removed. Caterers cooking on large 8 burner grills that require two tanks have reported using 1/3 the fuel compared to grilling without GrillGrates.
- A GAP at the edges is a good thing. The only other place heat can escape is at the sides. (as the front to back is covered) A small gap on each side allows for strong convection into the hood. AND
Veggies roasting at 350F on left, Steaks grilling at 650F on right
My Charbroil is a like a souped up Chevy Nova! Faster, Hotter and Even More fun!
After 2 years of testing and customer feedback we now offer 5 standard lengths:
- 13.75”- standard / universal GrillGrate
- 17.375” Ideal for many models of Weber gas grills
- 18.5” Fits Charbroil, Jenair, Treager and many others.
- 20” GrillGrates for many event grills
- 24” GrillGrate for restaurants and institutional grills.
Updated May 21, 2013